Monday, August 24, 2009

Advice from the Art

Gabriel Shaffer

I've been curious about how artists actually make a living in Asheville, NC. Most artists I know collect their income via a hodgepodge of activities and freelance work. I decided to interview Gabriel Shaffer for the Mountain Xpress because I see his paintings everywhere, and he's an outspoken person with a lot of things to say about a lot of things.

In the end I found his outlook quite refreshing. I know not every artist feels the same way he does, but we all approach what we do with different intentions. For Shaffer, making a living via his artwork is his goal, and it seems to me that his work has never been compromised in order to do so.

And anyway, I'm starting to think there's no such thing as a sell out artist anyway. Who am I or anyone to be a judge of such things? We all have to make compromises and shmooze it a little here and there no matter if we're homeless or billionaires.

Read the
full interview here.

No comments: